First Lines Fridays is a weekly feature for book lovers hosted by Wandering Words. What if instead of judging a book by its cover, its author or its prestige, we judged it by its opening lines?
- Pick a book off your shelf (it could be your current read or on your TBR) and open to the first page
- Copy the first few lines, but don’t give anything else about the book away just yet – you need to hook the reader first
- Finally… reveal the book!
As darkness falls, a cloaked figure, hidden in the looming shadows of the gnarled, twisted trees, sweeps silently closer to the trickling stream that runs round the edge of Skeleton Woods.
When I was sent information about this one, I couldn’t help requesting it sounds like such a fun read!
A fang-tastic story of unlikely friendship. Maggie Helsby isn’t afraid of spooky legends and she’s willing to prove it. But when she agrees to a dare to venture into the forest, she doesn’t expect to find…
1. A creepy castle enchanted against humans
2. A vegetarian vampire who wants to be her friend
3. An ancient book naming HER as the latest of the Helsby slayers!
Can Maggie persuade her family, her new (human) friends and the greedy Mayor Collyfleur that their nocturnal neighbours need protecting just as much as they do? Or will her neck be on the line…